shrug-l: ArcGIS Pro 1.4 is now here

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at egisassociates.com
Mon Jan 16 12:03:30 EST 2017

ArcGIS Pro 1.4 is now here and it represents possibly its biggest releases
since Esri first introduced it. This new version goes a long way to put
ArcGIS Pro on par with ArcMap and ArcCatalog for core functionality.

Now that ArcGIS Pro has most of the core functionality found in ArcMap and
ArcCatalog plus tools that are only in ArcGIS Pro, expect Esri to really
start pushing users to start transitioning to ArcGIS Pro. If you look at
their website, ArcGIS Pro has now replaced ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap &
ArcCatalog) for desktop GIS. Expect their training offerings to start
shifting to ArcGIS Pro. So now is the time to really start looking at if,
when and why you might want to begin migrating to ArcGIS Pro.

Benefits of ArcGIS Pro

So why should you consider migrating to ArcGIS Pro? Aside from the fact that
Esri will soon be pushing you to do so, there are many benefits ArcGIS Pro
brings to the table. Here are a few key benefits we have found:

1.	Fully 64 bit enabling ArcGIS Pro to take full advantage of modern
hardware including more than 4 GB RAM, Multi-core processors, Graphics
Processors, and graphics RAM
2.	Native Support for both 2D and 3D Maps
3.	Intuitive and modern ribbon interface
4.	Faster geoprocessing
5.	Multiple ways to automate and streamline processes
6.	Python Scripts
7.	Models
8.	Tasks
9.	Arcade
10.	Improved iteration with ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise
11.	Increased support for raster and lidar analysis
12.	Support for multiple maps and layouts in a single project
13.	Improved support for UAVs and UAS
14.	.Net Development Environment
15.	Multiple Licensing options

What's New in 1.4

So, what are some of the big improvements you will find in ArcGIS Pro 1.4?
This release includes a lot of tools many of us have been waiting on to put
ArcGIS Pro on par with the core functionality found in ArcMap.

*	Here are some of the new tools and functionality we believe are key
that you will find in this release of ArcGIS Pro.
*	Georeferencing of CAD and Imagery
*	Use of Grids and Graticule
*	Production of georeferenced ortho products from UAVs, satellites,
and aerial photos
*	Create and manage topologies
*	New CAD tools tab
*	Support for Alternate City names as well as street names when
geocoding
*	Register views with enterprise geodatabases
*	Support for both LAS and ZLAS files
*	Align Features tool added
*	Create Multipatch features
*	New Pipeline Extension

For a complete list of what has been added to ArcGIS Pro 1.4 go to
http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm.

If you have not looked at ArcGIS Pro yet, then you might want to with this
new version. Esri has said they are no longer focusing on development for
ArcMap or ArcCatalog. Their focus for new desktop functionality is all on
ArcGIS Pro. While ArcMap will be around for a few more years (anywhere from
2 to 7 depending on who you ask), ArcGIS Pro is the future of desktop GIS in
the Esri world.

eGIS has begun offering training classes on ArcGIS Pro. We have four courses
currently including:

1.	Learning ArcGIS Pro 1: Fundamentals
<https://squareup.com/store/egisassociates/item/learning-arcgis-pro>
2.	Learning ArcGIS Pro 2: Analysis, Automation and Sharing
<http://www.egisassociates.com/learning-arcgis-pro-2-analysis-automation-sha
ring.html>
3.	Introduction to Programming ArcGIS Pro with Python
<https://squareup.com/store/egisassociates/item/introduction-to-programming-
arcgis-pro-with-python>
4.	Intermediate Programming ArcGIS Pro with Python
<https://squareup.com/store/egisassociates/item/intermediate-arcgis-pro-prog
ramming-with-python>

Go to our training schedule to see a when these courses are currently being
offered and how to register -
http://www.egisassociates.com/training_schedule.html

We will be migrating all our current ArcGIS Desktop classes over to ArcGIS
Pro this year. So expect the list of classes for ArcGIS Pro to grow. If you
would like custom or onsite training for ArcGIS Pro for your organization
please feel free to contact me.

 <mailto:tcorbin at egisassociates.com> tcorbin at egisassociates.com |
www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 0021 | 678-672-8970 Direct Dial

Esri Certified Desktop Professional | Esri Certified Enterprise System
Design Associate

Order my book
<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/learning-arcgis-pro>
Learning ArcGIS Pro now!