shrug-l: ArcGIS Pro 2.3 just released - What's New

tcorbin at egisassociates.com tcorbin at egisassociates.com
Fri Jan 25 12:13:38 EST 2019

Hey everyone,

Esri just released an update for ArcGIS Pro. This new version, 2.3, contains
a wealth of improvements, I think you will like. Just to mention a few:

*	Now you can open a new blank project without a template. This means
all those project files that normally are created do not get generated. This
makes it much easier to use ArcGIS Pro as a management tool like ArcCatalog.
*	You can set ArcGIS Pro to automatically open a specified project. If
you only use one project this could make your like a little easier and
ArcGIS Pro start a little faster.
*	The Split edit tool now allows you to select existing features to
split a polygon into multiple parts. This gives it functionality similar to
the Split tool on the Advanced Editing toolbar in ArcMap. I have been
waiting on this one for a long time.
*	Creating reports in ArcGIS Pro is now possible.
*	Legend Symbol patches for more than just simple rectangles is now
supported in ArcGIS Pro
*	Divide edit tool added for splitting a polygon in to multiple parts
based on number of splits, distance, area and so on.
*	Dimension Annotation has been added to ArcGIS Pro

There are many more. I just picked a few improvements I was excited to see.
For more information, watch the video I just posted to the eGIS YouTube
channel at https://youtu.be/z087o7SlIDQ. You can also find more information
in the ArcGIS Pro help at
https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm.

In my opinion, ArcGIS Pro has had the functionality 90% of most users need
for a while now. This new release just makes it even better and is getting
closer so that the remaining 10% will be able to consider moving over to it.
I think back to when ArcGIS was first released around 1999 and how long it
took to really get a stable working version. Looks like ArcGIS Pro is coming
along even faster than ArcMap did. Of course it still does have its moments
and if you do not have beefy enough hardware don't even think about using
ArcGIS Pro.

Speaking of hardware, I have been running ArcGIS (both Map and Pro) on a new
Ryzen 7 2700x system with an NVIDIA RTX 2060 for about 2 weeks now with good
success. Plan to post some benchmarks and testing results in the not too
distant future for anyone that is interested.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, GISP | Chief Executive Officer

 <mailto:tcorbin at egisassociates.com> tcorbin at egisassociates.com |
www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 0021 | 678-672-8970 Direct Dial

Esri Certified Desktop Professional | Esri Certified Enterprise System
Design Associate

 <https://www.youtube.com/user/eGISAssociates> YouTube |
<https://www.facebook.com/egisassociates> Facebook |
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/egis-associates-inc> LinkedIn |
<https://twitter.com/egisassociates> Twitter |
<https://www.patreon.com/egisassociates> Patreon

Order my
<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/arcgis-pro-2x-cookbook>
ArcGIS Pro Cookbook now & don't forget about
<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/learning-arcgis-pro>
Learning ArcGIS Pro