[Sqg-program] short one - exit signs with tritium

Perrigan, Glen Glen.Perrigan at dep.state.fl.us
Tue Apr 6 17:53:46 EDT 2010

NSWMA Says Tritium Signs Should Not Be Placed in Landfills

Apr 5, 2010 11:12 AM

In comments filed with the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), the National Solid Wastes Management Association<http://www.environmentalistseveryday.org/about-nswma-solid-waste-management/index.php> (NSWMA) says that tritium exit signs should not be placed in municipal solid waste (MSW) landfills. According to an NSWMA press release<http://www.environmentalistseveryday.org/news-solid-waste-industry/press-releases-2010/NRC-tritium.php>, "tritium exit signs, used in many commercial and high-occupancy residential buildings, contain a radioactive form of hydrogen."

In its comments, NSWMA said that NRC should ban the disposal of the signs in MSW landfills in part because exposure to tritium increases a person's risk of developing cancer. "A damaged exit sign likely will have relatively high levels of tritium in it, and should not be handled or disposed in a" MSW landfill, the press release says.

"America's solid waste industry provides an essential service that helps protect the environment and public health. We support all efforts to keep potentially harmful materials out of landfills," said Bruce Parker, president and CEO of NSWMA, in a press release. "We are pleased to have the opportunity to express our support for this potential rule change by [NRC]."

Raoul Clarke
Waste Reduction Section
2600 Blair Stone Road  MS-4555
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2400
P:  850-245-8750
F:  850-245-8811
E:  raoul.clarke at dep.state.fl.us<mailto:raoul.clarke at dep.state.fl.us>
W: www.dep.state.fl.us<http://www.dep.state.fl.us/>
Please note: Florida has a very broad public records law. Most written communications to or from state officials are public records and may be made available to the public or media upon request.This e-mail communication, your reply, and future e-mails to my attention may therefore be subject to public disclosure.

The Department of Environmental Protection values your feedback as a customer. DEP Secretary Michael W. Sole is committed to continuously assessing and improving the level and quality of services provided to you. Please take a few minutes to comment on the quality of service you received. Simply click on this link to the DEP Customer Survey<http://survey.dep.state.fl.us/?refemail=Glen.Perrigan@dep.state.fl.us>. Thank you in advance for completing the survey.