[Sqg-program] FW: tritium exit signs

Arnaldo.Mercado at ocfl.net Arnaldo.Mercado at ocfl.net
Thu Apr 15 15:09:03 EDT 2010

http://www.trainex.org/web_courses/tritium/index.htm

Here is good information you can use.

Arnaldo Mercado

Program Development Supervisor

OCEPD Compliance & Waste Management

________________________________

From: sqg-program-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
[mailto:sqg-program-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of
Perrigan, Glen
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:58 PM
To: Sqg-program at lists.dep.state.fl.us
Subject: [Sqg-program] FW: tritium exit signs

Hello all:

I recently forwarded through this listserve a notice of comments filed
with the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) by the
National Solid Wastes Management Association (NSWMA) stating that
"tritium exit signs should not be placed in municipal landfills ... as
tritium increases a person's risk of developing cancer."

This notice has generated some discussion here in Tallahassee as to just
how much of a problem this may or may not be and, if so, whether the
Department should look towards developing a management strategy for this
waste. I'd like to have answers to a few questions as I work through
what research and policies I can find relevant to this topic.

I'm asking that HHW/SQG persons to help with the following questions:

1. Does your agency/facility/program prohibit the landfill disposal of
tritium exit signs?

2. Has your facility/program ever faced a situation wherein they have
had to manage waste tritium exit signs?  If so, how was this handled?

3. Do you have any pictures of the inner workings of a tritium exit
sign?

4. Has your agency/staff done any sort of waste analysis on waste
tritium exit signs?

5. Have you, or are you aware of, any credible, reputable scientific
and/or policy reports on this topic?

Any assistance you might provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your attention to this issue.

Rick

Richard C. (Rick) Neves

Household Hazardous Waste Coordinator

Waste Reduction Section / MS 4555

2600 Blair Stone Road

Tallahassee, Florida 32399-2400

(850) 245-8753

Fax 850-245-8811

Email:  Richard.neves at dep.state.fl.us
<mailto:Richard.neves at dep.state.fl.us>

Web Page:
www.dep.state.fl.us/waste/categories/hazardous/pages/household.htm

The Department of Environmental Protection values your feedback as a
customer. DEP Secretary Michael W. Sole is committed to continuously
assessing and improving the level and quality of services provided to
you. Please take a few minutes to comment on the quality of service you
received. Simply click on this link to the DEP Customer Survey
<http://survey.dep.state.fl.us/?refemail=Glen.Perrigan@dep.state.fl.us>
. Thank you in advance for completing the survey.

PLEASE NOTE: Florida has a very broad public records law (F. S. 119).
All e-mails to and from County Officials are kept as a public record.
Your e-mail communications, including your e-mail address may be
disclosed to the public and media at any time.