[Sqg-program] FW: tritium exit signs

Perrigan, Glen Glen.Perrigan at dep.state.fl.us
Thu Apr 15 14:57:44 EDT 2010

Hello all:
I recently forwarded through this listserve a notice of comments filed with the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) by the National Solid Wastes Management Association (NSWMA) stating that "tritium exit signs should not be placed in municipal landfills ... as tritium increases a person's risk of developing cancer."
This notice has generated some discussion here in Tallahassee as to just how much of a problem this may or may not be and, if so, whether the Department should look towards developing a management strategy for this waste. I'd like to have answers to a few questions as I work through what research and policies I can find relevant to this topic.
I'm asking that HHW/SQG persons to help with the following questions:
1. Does your agency/facility/program prohibit the landfill disposal of tritium exit signs?
2. Has your facility/program ever faced a situation wherein they have had to manage waste tritium exit signs?  If so, how was this handled?
3. Do you have any pictures of the inner workings of a tritium exit sign?
4. Has your agency/staff done any sort of waste analysis on waste tritium exit signs?
5. Have you, or are you aware of, any credible, reputable scientific and/or policy reports on this topic?
Any assistance you might provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your attention to this issue.
Rick

Richard C. (Rick) Neves
Household Hazardous Waste Coordinator
Waste Reduction Section / MS 4555
2600 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-2400
(850) 245-8753
Fax 850-245-8811
Email:  Richard.neves at dep.state.fl.us<mailto:Richard.neves at dep.state.fl.us>
Web Page:  www.dep.state.fl.us/waste/categories/hazardous/pages/household.htm

The Department of Environmental Protection values your feedback as a customer. DEP Secretary Michael W. Sole is committed to continuously assessing and improving the level and quality of services provided to you. Please take a few minutes to comment on the quality of service you received. Simply click on this link to the DEP Customer Survey<http://survey.dep.state.fl.us/?refemail=Glen.Perrigan@dep.state.fl.us>. Thank you in advance for completing the survey.