[Pharmwaste] excreted drugs & whole effluent toxicity?

Catherine Zimmer zenllc at usfamily.net
Fri Sep 12 14:57:48 EDT 2014

Hi Allen et al,

Yep, P2 is the way-and not just reduced doses, but  directed drugs (e.g.
organ specific), less persistent rx and alternative therapies.  For example
a study that just came out of a Canadian university showed better results
using weight loss, exercise and PT for knees rather than replacements.

Regarding testing of API in WW, there are few accepted methods.  Axys
analytical laboratories is I believe one of the few commercial labs that
does suites of API.  Their methods have been developed with EPA oversight to
be the standards.  Unfortunately, there are a number of pharmaceuticals for
which there are no standardized test methods, including controlled
substances.

And, Jim I agree waste body fluids from patients undergoing chemo, should be
collected, not discharged to the sanitary sewer.

Very truly yours,

Catherine Zimmer, MS, BSMT

Zimmer Environmental Improvement, LLC

St. Paul, MN