[Pharmwaste] FW: Vitamins and Supplements

Bunnell, Ross Ross.Bunnell at ct.gov
Fri Aug 14 10:57:38 EDT 2015

Amy:

Although it doesn't squarely address your question, I'd like to offer some insight from Connecticut DEEP's experience with retail pharmacies that may inform this issue.

In our inspections of retail pharmacies in Connecticut, we have made some surprising findings, including some relating to the management of vitamins and nutritional supplements.  More specifically, we have found that many vitamins contain sufficiently high concentrations of selenium or chromium as to be regulated as "toxic" hazardous wastes when they  are disposed of.  (I should note that chromium is a rather unique issue for CT because the federal HW regs and most states provide an exemption from HW requirements for wastes that contain primarily trivalent chromium, which is the type of chromium that is found in vitamins; however CT does not adopt this exemption, meaning that many vitamins will be classified as HW for chromium in CT, where they would not be in most other states).

Obviously vitamins and other nutritional substances contain a "nutritive" rather than a "toxic" amount of such metals when consumed in the recommended dosage.  However, when large amounts of vitamins are disposed of at the same time, the potential exists for this disposal to result in a slug of contaminant being released into the environment all at once.  This might argue in favor of managing the vitamins/nutritional supplements the same as the other pharmaceuticals that are collected - namely, in a manner that will ensure that any toxic constituents are properly managed and are not released into the environment.

On a similar note, believe it or not, we have also found that some "energy" bars contain enough chromium to be classified as a "toxic" hazardous waste in CT.  Apparently, chromium is believed to boost energy, and some manufacturers add it to their energy bars to appeal to consumers who think that it enhances the effectiveness of the product.

--Ross Bunnell, CT DEEP