shrug-l: Identifier convention for Florida Municipalities and Counties

lance.peterson at dot.state.fl.us lance.peterson at dot.state.fl.us
Fri Sep 1 12:23:00 EDT 2006

I would use the FIPS code from the Census bureau.

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/fips/fips.html

and

http://geonames.usgs.gov/fips55.html

Lance Peterson
Peterson Consulting / FL Dept. of Transportation
Business Systems Support Office
Office of Information Systems
Phone: 850-410-5545

"Bob Swett" <rswett at ufl.edu>
Sent by: shrug-l-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
09/01/2006 12:04 PM

<shrug-l at lists.dep.state.fl.us>
cc
"Fann,David A" <dafann at ufl.edu>
Subject
shrug-l: Identifier convention for Florida Municipalities and   Counties

We are looking for a standard (e.g., numeric) designation for Florida
counties and municipalities (cities) that we can use as a unique
identifier in a polygon coverage. Can anyone direct me to such a coding
system?

Thanks
Bob Swett

Bob Swett  |  Coordinator  |  Florida Sea Grant Boating and Waterway
Management Program  |  www.flseagrant.org
Assistant Professor | Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences |
Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences?UF
PO Box 110405     |    Gainesville, FL 32653    |     (:352-392-6233    |
 Fax: 352-392-5113    |    * rswett at ufl.edu