shrug-l: FL data for Address Geocoding

Yurong Tan tany at gisgo.com
Fri Mar 30 17:07:34 EDT 2007

I got a commercial geocoding package a couple years ago for $14.000 first
year and thereafter $4,000/yr for continuing update the addresses database
because that zip codes are updated by the USPS monthly (zip deletion,
splitting, merging, .), new addresses are added all the time, counties are
split or merged, etc..  Generally speaking, I am happy about it.  However,
after a couple years in geocoding tens, if not hundreds, of millions of
addresses each year, I sometimes found that addresses can be misplaced miles
away or out of State including some in Florida using the current geocoder.
This happened even after the addresses were checked and then corrected if
necessary, against the latest NCOA (national change of address).

Interestingly, those "problematic addresses" were all put right on the money
through Google Map.  So I am currently evaluating Navteq which is said to be
the backbone for Google map address searches.

Geocoding software venders normally each have their own "proprietary
criterion" of addresses matching and some might have implemented what they
called "aggressive intelligence" to give an output for addresses that do not
have an exact match.  This can be problematic because it gives you a wrong
location for those addresses rather than simply not geocoding it!!!.

If your area is generally a County, I would suggest getting an address
database from a local source (Police, Sheriff, County property appraise, or
the local private vender).  If your project or application deals with
emergency or dispatching issues, you might need to consider some other
factors because one misplacement of an address can result in life/death.

Good luck.