shrug-l: Combining Road datasets

Burns David David.Burns at dot.state.fl.us
Tue Jan 15 15:18:31 EST 2008

Shruggers (or is it Shruggies?) -

Perhaps someone out there can help me with an interesting issue that my colleagues and I are currently attempting to tackle.

First, a bit of background.  We currently have a dataset featuring very accurate (2 meter or better) alignments of all the roads in Florida.  These have been converted from our CAD maps and, as such, lack a road names feature (which we very much desire).  We have a dataset, however, that contains (hypothetically) all the names of these roads.  Unfortunately, said dataset lacks the accuracy of the CAD-exported data.  Our wish is to essentially combine these two datasets, with the end result featuring both highly accurate data and the road names.

We have, as of yet, not had success with doing a spatial join, as frequently the streets will be combined with the wrong name in areas with a high density of roads (such as urban areas).  Does anyone have any ideas as to how to overcome this problem (without manually inputing the names for every road in Florida)?  Would converting labels to annotation be a potential solution?

I appreciate any input!

David Burns
Florida Department of Transportation
Surveying & Mapping Office