shrug-l: SHRUG 2010 Workshop Panel Discussion

Eric_Songer at URSCorp.com Eric_Songer at URSCorp.com
Tue Nov 2 10:03:52 EDT 2010

There was a lot of GIS going on.  There was ESRI (only Arcinfo),
Intergraph, GRASS.  A lot of government grant money for universities.
LandSat had been around for 10 years and people were doing classifications
and trying to analyze the results.  The WMD's were already using Arcinfo.
I used Arcinfo 20 years ago and it was version 4.3 so it had been around
for awhile.  I did my thesis (1985-87) with custom software based on
IMGRID software written at Harvard in the mid 70's when Jack Dangermond
was a grad student there.  We had computer science students customize
routines for our analyses.

Google search something like "+imgrid gis harvard".  It's interesting
history.

Thanks,

Eric Songer, GISP  |  Tallahassee Office URS  |  Infrastructure GIS Lead
1625 Summit Lake Drive, Tallahassee, FL, 32317
850-574-3197  |  eric_songer at urscorp.com

This e-mail and any attachments contain URS Corporation confidential
information that may be proprietary or privileged. If you receive this
message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,
distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy
the e-mail and any attachments or copies.

"C. Henry Depew" <sisu26 at nettally.com>
Sent by: shrug-l-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
11/01/2010 08:31 PM

"Brown, Janelle" <Janelle.Brown at dot.state.fl.us>,
"shrug-l at lists.dep.state.fl.us" <shrug-l at lists.dep.state.fl.us>
cc

Subject
Re: shrug-l: SHRUG 2010 Workshop Panel Discussion

Greetings!
      If the time does not conflict with one of my presentation
assignments, I would be interested.  My only question is the bit
about the History of GIS since I only started in 1994 although I did
work with mainframe computer programs to map things back in 1969 or
1970.  Given the capacity of the mainframes back then, what GIS was
being run 20 some years ago? .

C. Henry Depew