shrug-l: SHRUG 2010 Workshop Panel Discussion

Jordan, Jack Jack.Jordan at dep.state.fl.us
Wed Nov 3 09:21:32 EDT 2010

In the late 70s and early 80s there was EDC's ELAS for image processing on mainframe and desktop, by the 90s numerous image-proc/raster-GIS packages for desktop (the big distinction at that time was between softwares that could perform geocorrection of raw imagery to image-maps...and those that could not).  Development environments could avail themselves of Arc's toolkit for vectors, and RSI's IDL for custom image-proc.  Data transfer and storage improved dramatically, from early desktops of less than 1 Gb harddrive crunching data accessed via 9track tapedrives, wormdrives, Kermit, and Laplink; and satellite imagery searched via card-catalog and delivered on tape reels by everything from postman to elephant-back, to the modern situation of downloadable vector datasets and online search-n-order of on-the-fly preprocessed satellite imagery (mid 90s EOSDIS).  The peripherals related to raster/vector GIS improved enormously, from light-tables and digitizing tablets to large-format scanners, from fridge-sized screenshot 35-mm slidemakers to PPT, from alphabetic-plotters (still useful for colorblind folks or faxes) to pen-plotters and finally to color laser printers.

Jack Jordan
FLDEP-BMMR

(yeah, yeah, books had already replaced scrolls, and tapes had replaced Bakelite cylinders :) )

The Department of Environmental Protection values your feedback as a customer. DEP Secretary Mimi Drew is committed to continuously assessing and improving the level and quality of services provided to you. Please take a few minutes to comment on the quality of service you received. Simply click on this link to the DEP Customer Survey<http://survey.dep.state.fl.us/?refemail=Jack.Jordan@dep.state.fl.us>. Thank you in advance for completing the survey.