FW: shrug-l: Oracle Spatial Type Test

Keith Sandell Keith.Sandell at citizensfla.com
Fri May 13 00:40:22 EDT 2011

Thanks to all of you who responded and your offers of assistance.

For any of you interested in working with Oracle you can download Oracle
10g Express here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/express-edition/downloads/ind
ex.html

And many people suggested using the shp2sdo executable to load the
shapefiles, but this requires a number of steps to accomplish. I found
Oracle's Map Builder, which is an executable jar file, provides an easy
click, by click process to import shapefiles. It can be found here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/mapviewer/downloads/index-1
00641.html

The Map Builder download is sandwiched between the first 2 Map Viewer
downloads, kind of hard to see.

I think I spent most of my time finding the downloads. I found that
getting Oracle 10g and Map Builder installed and wired up together and
importing the shapefiles was pretty straight forward, even though I had
never before working with Oracle.

And if someone could shed some light on the following I would appreciate
it.

In loading the shapefiles you have to select a SRID, but Oracle (at
least Map Builder) does not have a reference to SRID 3857.

Does Oracle not support SRID 3857? Or is it by another SRID in their
system?

Thanks again to all who responded.

Keith Sandell, MBA

GIS Manager, Corporate Analytics

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation

ofc. 850.521.8341   |   cell 850.727.2897