shrug-l: RE: viewing parcels against Bing imagery in ArcMap 10

Sykes, John John.Sykes at dep.state.fl.us
Mon Apr 23 16:34:37 EDT 2012

I'm sorry I don't have the time/ability to check this out, but does look like a projection issue to me.  The lower right is dead-on and it goes further and further astray as you go to the NW.  I presented a paper on such issues back a few years ago at the shrug meeting.  Point is 50% of the time it is a georegistration error on the aerial photo folks part and 50% of the time the parcel data is screwed-up (you can tell if it doesn't register with itself - check out Volusia & Lake Counties for examples).

Theoretically, the FDOT aerial photos are accurate to +/- 3 pixels or 7 ft, whichever is greater.  Don't know about Bing.  Orthorectifying the photos can introduce other distortions too.  Even with a digital scanner, the errors in the axis of the flight path are not usually too bad, but when you get out to the fringes of the scan - different story.  That's why they usually do a 1/3 overlap of aerials.  Trust me, with differential GPS in the aircraft, things are a lot better than they use to be.

-- John

Please take a few minutes to share your comments on the service you received from the department by clicking on this link DEP Customer Survey<http://survey.dep.state.fl.us/?refemail=John.Sykes@dep.state.fl.us>.