shrug-l: Have problems adding a base map from ArcGIS Online? Here is a tip that might help.

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at egisassociates.com
Tue Aug 14 14:40:54 EDT 2012

Some of our staff get an error message:  "ArcGIS Desktop has encountered a
serious application error and is unable to continue." when they try to add
one of the base maps from ArcGIS Online to their map. This was not happening
to everyone so it was a bit confusing. Further complicating the issue was
some of us were running ArcGIS 10 and some 10.1.

After doing some digging, comparing settings and finding some posts on other
email listservs, we were able to narrow it down to the video card and a
setting in ArcMap to use hardware acceleration. Turning it off fixed the
problem for those that were having it. Here are the steps to turn off
hardware acceleration in ArcMap:

1.     Click on the Customize menu

2.     Select ArcMap Options

3.     Click on the Data View tab

4.     Un-check the box next to Enable hardware acceleration for supported
layers

5.     Click OK

That should fix the problem. Hope this helps.

tcorbin at egisassociates.com | www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 21 | 866-304-3864 Fax

Esri Certified Trainer | Esri Certified Desktop Associate