[Sqg-program] RE: Solvent Wipers

Emery, Charles sqg-program@lists.dep.state.fl.us
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:07:04 -0500

>From a state perspective I agree with the previous comments about the =

facilities
for mismanagement of lamps.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martha.Worland@ocfl.net [mailto:Martha.Worland@ocfl.net]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 9:50 AM
To: sqg-program@lists.dep.state.fl.us
Cc: chris.cronwell@brevardcounty.us; Boatwright@epchc.org
Subject: RE: [Sqg-program] RE: Solvent Wipers

Orange County is not inspecting nail salons--like Seminole, we've got =
bigger
fish to fry -- but it's also not illegal to dispose of the wipes/q-tips =
and
the liquid acetone as they currently do.  The wipes/q-tips are de =
minimis
for land disposal, and while the collection of cups of spent acetone is =
far
preferable to dumping it down the drain-- it's legal to do so as long as =
the
POTW authority allows it and they aren't "flushing" it (dilution)-- =
however,
nothing prevents them from washing their hands after pouring it down the
drain. =20

As for the tanning lamps, the beds do contain at least 32, but the lamps =
are
rated at ~1000 hours -- or ~41 days of tanning, 24/7.  Most salons that =
have
this kind of usage also have a maintenance agreement for relamping with =
the
bed companies.